Have a question that you need answered? Contact Us
Skip Navigation LinksHome > FAQ


What are your phone numbers?
Administrative Office: (319) 362-1170
Crisis Center: (319) 362-2174 or 1-800-332-4224
Family Counseling: (319) 366-8797
LISW Therapist Dennis Dozier: (319) 261-0976
LMHC Therapist Kristin O'Conner Sherrets (319) 739-5325
Independent Living Programs: (319) 368-3376
Mobile Crisis Outreach: (319) 247-0030
Youth Shelter: (319) 366-8797

Where are your offices located?
Administrative Office: 1714 Johnson Ave NW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52405
Crisis Services: 1540 2nd Ave SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52403
Independent Living Programs: 1450 Boyson Road Suite 5 Building B, Hiawatha, IA 52233
Youth Services: 3015 12th Ave SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404

Will anyone know that I called you or received services?
No. All information that you give to us will be held strictly confidential. We cannot divulge any information without a signed release. To have any information shared you will need to complete a release of information form for us. This includes information you wish to go to your attorney, school, mental health counselor, DHS worker, family member or any other individual.

How do I get my youth involved in Foundation 2?
Please call our Crisis Center at (319) 362-2174 and we will recommend the program that will best meet your child's needs.

How long can my child stay at the Youth Shelter?
Your child's length of stay is dependent upon need. Last year's average length of stay was seven days.

How much does it cost to receive services?
Most Foundation 2 services are free or based on a sliding fee scale. For more information on a specific program's cost, please call them for more information.

What should I do if I think my friend is suicidal?
If you think that your friend may be suicidal, the best thing to do is to ask them the question, "are you thinking about suicide?" Although this can seem overwhelming, it is a great way to get a conversation started that may save your friend's life. For more suggestions of how to help a friend who may be suicidal click here or call our 24-hour crisis hotline at (319) 362-2174.

Will the police be called if I mention suicide?
No. Our staff tries to use the least intrusive method possible when assisting callers. Unless you are actively in the process of harming yourself, we will not call rescue. We also inform clients if we are about to call rescue and do not do so without a caller's knowledge.

How does talk therapy help?
This is an excellent question- it is good to consider what we really do as mental health counselors. First, therapy can mean a lot of different things to different people.Therapy can provide a safe place in which to share with a non-judgmental person, and that trust and the connection between the therapist and client is a major determining factor in helping the client get "better". There are many types of talk therapy, one that has been heavily researched is Cognitive-Behavioral therapy, which basically challenges the client's thoughts and offers a redirect or another way of thinking, in other words if the thoughts precede the emotional response; then if we help change the thoughts it will lessen the emotional impact, be it depression or anxiety. But whatever type of therapy is utilized, research consistently shows that it is the quality of the relationship between the therapist and client that is the real factor.  Think of it as talk therapy helping to bring another way of looking at problems....the collaboration can be freeing. So, when looking for a therapist, ask around, and it is ok to ask questions of us, we expect it. Therapy in a lot of ways is a "fit."

Where do I find out what job openings are available and what is the process to apply for a career with Foundation 2?

On our home page, click on About, then click on Current Job Openings.  This will bring up the positions we have open at this time.  http://www.foundation2.org/Content/About/Current-Job-Openings.aspx

When you are applying for a position, please send an e-mail to Jobs@foundation2.org that includes a cover letter, resume and a completed application that can be found both at the top and bottom of the Current Job Openings page.

I am interested in someone from Foundation 2 speaking to my group or business.  What should I do?

Our Development/Marketing Coordinator, Elisabeth Kissling, coordinates all fairs and presentations.  You can reach her at (319) 362-1170 or ekissling@foundation2.org.

Mobile Crisis Outreach Questions and Answers:

What does it cost to have counselors come out?  Answer: Nothing, we are 100% free and don’t even ask about billing info.

When are Mobile Crisis Counselors available? Answer: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

What can I expect from the counselors that come out? Answer:  Our counselors will try to help you with your crisis by providing on-site counseling, referral services and general support (bringing out food, transportation to a hospital, contacting other family members, etc.).

What counties does Foundation 2 Mobile Crisis Counselors cover?  Foundation 2 counselors cover Linn, Jones, Benton, Delaware, Buchanan and Bremer County.

Will you go out to see someone under the influence of substances? Yes! As long as the person isn’t actively violent, is lucid on the phone and wants to meet with counselors.

Will you go out to see someone more than once? Yes, we have no limit on the number of times we will go out to see an individual in crisis, we often see “repeat” clients.

What can clients do if they have a grievance about services received?
Below is a copy of our Client Grievances Policy:

Foundation 2

Client Grievance Policy


At Foundation 2, our goal is for you to have a positive and productive relationship with the staff of all our programs as we work with you to help resolve or ease the problems that brought you to our agency.

Sometimes, despite our best efforts, you may have a concern or complaint about our service. We ask that you first talk with the individual staff person that you've been working with most closely and make them aware of your concern. If the concern you have is not resolved to your satisfaction after talking with the first person, please ask to speak with that person's direct supervisor. You are not required to submit your grievance in writing, if you verbally share your concern, the staff person will write a summary of your grievance and ask you to sign it. Before you sign, make sure your concerns are reported accurately and to your satisfaction.

In most instances, the complaint will be resolved at the supervisor level. If this does not occur, you may take the matter up with the appropriate coordinator. There are coordinators for Youth and Family Service, Mobile Crisis Outreach, Crisis Center and Transitional Living. If you have not been satisfied with the coordinator's response, you will be directed to speak with the Operations Director or the Quality Director. You may reach these people at the following numbers.

Crisis Center Coordinator: 319-362-2174

Youth and Family Service Coordinator:  319-366-8797

Mobile Crisis Coordinator: 319-247-0030

Transitional Living Facilitator: 319-368-3376

Operations Director: 319-362-1170

Quality Director: 319-362-1180

Directors can assist you in determining a next step if they are not able to satisfy your complaint or concern.