The recent earthquakes in Haiti may impact residents in our area, even if you don’t have ties to anyone living there. Hearing about the earth-quakes may trigger Post-Traumatic symptoms in veterans and other who have survived disasters.
According to the Department of Veteran’s Affairs Factsheet on Coping with PTSD, here are several tips for coping with PTSD.
· Talk to another person for support
· Practice relaxation methods
· Increase positive distracting activities
· Refrain from illegal drugs or alcohol use
· Join a support group
· Start an exercise program
· Volunteer in the community
· Call a counselor for help
Foundation 2 offers phone support through our 24-Hour Crisis Hotline. You can reach a counselor by calling (319) 362-2174 or 1-800-332-4224. If you are struggling with feelings related to the recent disasters in Haiti, or just need to talk, please give us a call. You don’t have to go through this alone.